Tuesday, December 22, 2009

When replacing the oil pan gasket do you use sealant and if so, on which side of the gasket?

I have to change the gasket on an '89 Cabby. I've always used rubber gaskets but right now that's not an option. I'm not very clear on the procedures for using a cork gasket so if someone could just give me the basic differences I'd appreciate it.


I don't need a diy on replacing the gasket, I just need to know about the sealant and any other differences.When replacing the oil pan gasket do you use sealant and if so, on which side of the gasket?
Doesnt hurt to permatex black rtv it to the oil pan and then screw it up when it almost dries.When replacing the oil pan gasket do you use sealant and if so, on which side of the gasket?
No sealant is required on MOST gaskets.


Some use it and some don't.


IF it ever needs changing again, a sealant makes the old gasket MUCH harder to remove.





I use a few spots of chassis grease, if necessary, to hold gasket in position.
Small dabs if needed to hold in place. Always apply sealer to the non-block side. ie the pan side.

No comments:

Post a Comment