Saturday, December 26, 2009

Which way do you turn the bolt on the oil pan to get it off?

I have a 1998 Honda Civic EX and im changing my oil, but I cant get the bolt off the oil pan and i forget which way to turn it. I just want to make sure im not tightening it rather than loosening it to get it off. I've changed the oil myself several times before, but the last time i took it somewhere to have done cause i had a free oil change and they put the bolt back on too tight. Now i cant get it off.Which way do you turn the bolt on the oil pan to get it off?
Righty, Tighty....Lefty Loosey.Which way do you turn the bolt on the oil pan to get it off?
Bolt heads are to be turned Counter Clock Wise to get them off. There are close to no exceptions to that rule and I never heard of an oil pan drain being one of them.
Righty tighty鈥攍efty loosey..
The old saying goes-Righty tighty ,Lefty Loosy.


Try turning it to the left.
Take it back to the guys that screwed it up for you. They should make it right.
Hi. Turn the bolt counter clockwise.
counter clockwise
CCW
to the left to loosen it, to the right to tighten it,always to the left though on an oil pan plug,good luck.
Counter clock wise. Righty Tighty Lefty loosey.





I do my oil changes myself but I have had the same problem when I get too lazy or don't want to change it in the heat and take it some where. It probably is just going to be hard to break. What I do is find the right wrench for the oil plug and then I take another wrench, fit the U-shaped open end into the box end to give me more leverage, and an angle, and the plug usually breaks. If you aren't quite sure what I mean, try and find a pipe or something else to extend the wrench so you get more leverage, or also use a rubber mallet and hit the end of the wrench a few times to loosen the plug. Good Luck.
RIGHTY TIGHTY, LEFTY LOOSEY, Which way would you turn a soda cap to get it off.
lefty loosey


righty tighty
counter clockwise is off clockwise is on for normal threads and the opposite for left handed threads but oil pan plugs are regular threads so counter clockwise
left or counter clockwise to loosen, just put a pipe on your ratchet to give you more leverage.
righty, tighty. lefty, loosy.
Try spraying some WD40 on it or using some kind of cheater bar or pipe.
just kick the wrench hard in a counter clock wise direction. if you did it earlier, you wouldn't have to stay long in front of your computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment