Tuesday, December 22, 2009

How do I know if my 2001 Dodge Neon's oil pan is aluminum or steel?

Neon's were built with either an aluminum or steel oil pan. How do I tell the difference, and which one I have? Is there a marking on it that will tell me? Thanks in advance.How do I know if my 2001 Dodge Neon's oil pan is aluminum or steel?
Try using a magnet. If it sticks to it, then its steel. If not, its aluminumHow do I know if my 2001 Dodge Neon's oil pan is aluminum or steel?
Drop the pan.


Cut out a piece of about 5 sq. inches.


Send the piece to a metallurgical Laboratory for analysis.


Based on their report, you will know.


Reassemble the pan to the engine.


Be prepared for some minor oil leakage while driving.
As mentioned above, try to stick a magnet on it. A magnet will stick to steel but not aluminum.
Use a magnet. It is most loikely steel.
touch it with a magnet and see if it sticks steel yes/alm no

No comments:

Post a Comment