Saturday, December 26, 2009

If the threads on my oil pan are stripped,how would I repair it?

I believe my oil pan threads are stripped from the bolt being over tightened.I was wondering what would I do to repair it.Would I have to buy another oil pan or can they re thread it?If the threads on my oil pan are stripped,how would I repair it?
Like I said... call around for a repair kit.


Call autozone... NAPA... Etc.





Another option... try JiffyLube. Believe it or not (haha) they strip out enough of them, that they usually keep repair kits in stock so when their petty ';Technicians'; destroy things, they slap one in.





- Good Luck!If the threads on my oil pan are stripped,how would I repair it?
Your local auto parts store will have a new plug to fix your problem. Basically, it cuts new threads in the pan. Be sure to explain the problem, so they don't sell you the original replacement plug. Also, you can apply Teflon tape to the threads which will stop a minor drip.
they sell an oversized plug that has self tapping


threads....just for this problem.
you could try re threading it with a tap %26amp;dye one size bigger then buy a bolt that fits those threads or buy a new oil pan
go to the parts store and take your old oil plug with you and they will give you a self tapping oil plug that you just screw in and that will be your new oil plug.
several options, helicoil can be put in at a auto shop.(cheepest root) . or take the pan off and weld a new nut the same size as drain plug was. you will have to weld the old hole shut

No comments:

Post a Comment