Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2001 Camry -- How to tell if the oil pan threads or drain plug threads are stripped?

I did an oil change yesterday and accidentally stripped the oil pan or drain plug thread. It just kept turning and turning. I don't know which is actually stripped though. I have been reading of some plugs that strip instead of the oil pan... how do I tell if this is the case. I am worried that I will have to drop big buck on a new pan and hope this isn't the case. I know there are self-tapping plugs, too, but a lot of people claim they do not hold up well.2001 Camry -- How to tell if the oil pan threads or drain plug threads are stripped?
I believe you probably only stripped the plug not the pan, reason i think this is, on newer vehicles oil pans are made with a different material than the drain plugs. They are made with a stronger metal and the drain plug is typically an alluminum type alloy. This helps prevent you from having to replace a whole drain pan. You have a new enough model that Im 99% sure that you just need a new plug.2001 Camry -- How to tell if the oil pan threads or drain plug threads are stripped?
Remove the plug and look at it. If it appears damaged, go to your local Toyota parts department with it and ask for a replacement.
Umm.. just take a look at the plug. Is it stripped? Replace it if it is.
checke seans answer its the rite one
  • make up
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment