Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I have gas in the oil pan of my 1969 Firebird, carb or head gaskets?

I thought it might be a head gasket issue but the more I read the more I think its my carb. What should I do to my carb to fix it? Its a 4bl Edlebrock and manual fuel pump. Any suggestions? I am mechanically inclined but not mechanically knowledgeable, so any help would be great. I will attempt anything, so please don't tell me to take it to a mechanic!I have gas in the oil pan of my 1969 Firebird, carb or head gaskets?
um do you have a vented gas cap?if not, purchase one.thought i should explain, the fuel in the tank is building pressure in the heat.the only place it can go is through the carb,the float needle and seat arent designed for more than around 6-7 psi.so its bleeding by there, filling the bowl way to full and then running down into the intake.have experienced this after plugging a broken vapor cannister to get by for a week or so.I have gas in the oil pan of my 1969 Firebird, carb or head gaskets?
Well, one problem carburetors had was that the float became saturated with fuel and wasn't properly bouyant enough. So what I would do is replace the float with a new one and reset the float level to the specification shown in the carburetor rebuild kit. Ask Edlebrock if they sell a rebuild kit with new float and the flow control pin that hooks to the float lever. But the above comments about a leaking fuel pump diaphram or excessive fuel vapor pressure sound like other good answers. Also, short trip driving could dilute the oil with gas and would be burned off on a longer trip. Then you'll see your engine oil level go down real fast as the gas burns off with sustained hot engine operation.
I'm had oil contamination issues with AC-Delco fuel pumps on my '69 GTO 400cu.in. However, they have a bleed hole at the bottom which would also drip gas externally.





The float saturation is common with the original Rodchester carb that used that ';cellular plastic'; POS. Like the Holly, I think your Elderbrock uses a brass float.





So, no external fuel leak? Go with the tank venting issue.
other ways that gas can enter your oil pan is either; pass the oil rings located around the pistons (bad rings), the head/head gasket. or the block. Pull the spark plugs one at a time to check for a heavy gas smell, or oil saturation; that will tell you which rings (if any) are bad.


You could pull the heads and have them checked ( there is no other way to check for hairline cracks ).
nah u dont have to unless u no wat ur doing jus u might be getting to much fual in there do u drive it really hard o preety easy or off and on...just try to let is run for about 5min start it with out puching the gas at all. if tha dont work u might need a new fuel pump....from wat it sounds like its kida hard on the computer to tell wat is aculy wrong
69 birds have vented fuel caps the pump diaphram is leaking and throw that edelbrock crap i mean carb in the trash get a holley 3310 750 or modified quadrajet they'll both run circles around edeljunk carb any day
Neither.





It's a bad fuel pump.

No comments:

Post a Comment