Saturday, December 26, 2009

1984 Toyota PIckup - how to remove tie rods to get to oil pan?

I have a 1984 toyota pick up and we are trying to change the oil pan gasket but we are having trouble getting the tie rods of to get to it. I read somewhere that you need a tie-rod-end puller or a two-jaw unit. What is this used for? Never messed with tie rods before so I want to make sure I dont mess the truck up but I NEED to change that gasket. Let me know if you can give me some advise I can even take pictures if you would like. Thanks!1984 Toyota PIckup - how to remove tie rods to get to oil pan?
The first thing you need to do is stop by your local auto parts store and pic up the repair manual for your toyota.





Then, read up on the repair. Buy, borrow or rent the tools you need to remove the oil pan and get to work.1984 Toyota PIckup - how to remove tie rods to get to oil pan?
';If you've never it before or seen it done get it to a shop or see if you know some one that has had pulled and replaced tie-rods before!'; after you get this done you're going to have to have the alignment checked.
Here is a link to a manual for an 85 (same as 84 for that stuff). right click and save it, hope you aren't on dialup! LOL


http://www.functionalfab.com/resources/t鈥?/a>





I have a local parts store that rents the tools for the tie rods. You leave a deposit and then get every penny back when you are done. The even told me that if I break the tool thats no problem. Don't get the pickle fork, that might damage the tie rod ends, make sure it's the puller that you have to tighten down to pop them off.





The best stuff I've used for that oil pan is the Toyota FIPG gasket maker. It's a tube of RTV type stuff and works great at sealing up that oil pan. They sell it at the dealer for like $5.

No comments:

Post a Comment