Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I stripped my oil pan screw, what should I do?

I don't have the money or time to order a new one. I changed my oil myself and didn't think it was a big deal, because it went back on tight enough. Now I have no more oil in my motor, and there is a slow leak at the screw. What should I do, I don't want to glue it or anything, because I will need to take it off again next time.I stripped my oil pan screw, what should I do?
Tap and Die set. Be careful of metal shavings falling in the oil pan. So be gentle when re-threading the hole.I stripped my oil pan screw, what should I do?
You got few choices.


You can tap it with bigger thread and install over size bolt.





You can take out the whole oil pan, take it to machine shop and have them fix the thread. They usually drill the whole thing out and install a thread repair insert.





Or you can purchase a new oil pan and just replace.





Just to buy time, you can cover the bolt thread with liquid gasket and install the existing bolt.
They make a few repair screws that aren't that expensive. See your auto parts place for one. They require that you tap in a new screw hole, though. I had this problem once. It's a fairly easy and relatively inexpensive fix, and you don't have to get a new pan. Check it out, they should have the size of tap and screw you need, you'll only need to take in your old screw to get the right size.
are you sure its stripped or do you just need to replace the washer?








ive never done it, but maybe you could re tap the threads?
When a bad mechanic did that to my car, they glued it in and told me to check the oil frequently because it would leak, and then the next time I needed an oil change I had to buy a new oil pan.
Re-tap the pan.


You can do this with a Tap%26amp;Die set or you can take it to most any garage that does oil changes. It's a fairly simple procedure... though you may need to apply a neoprene washer from now on to prevent a drip or two. No big deal.
Use high temp oil resistant sealant available at any auto shop.


It'll hold back the leak, but come off when you need it to.
go with john p answer. check napa/autozone/advance or one of the other parts stores less than 20 bucks
Go to your local auto parts jobber. They usually carry an oversize drain plug that is self tapping just for that reason. No need to drill and tap a new hole. Should be less than $10
You mean the drain plug.... make sure you have the washer on the screw.... if it is damaged get a new washer..... it is really hard to strip a drain plug......
Teflon tape will seal it right up. just don't allow any tape to hang lose into the oil pan.
If it is just the drain plug that is stripped, you can get a new one for just a couple of bucks. If the threads inside the pan are stripped, you will need to tap them out, maybe to a larger size and use a new plug of the appropriate size.





You should buy a tap at a tool store for the same size and one size larger. Try the smaller one first and see if it can clean up the threads. If your new plug of the same size won't screw in properly, use the larger tap and larger pan plug.
I don't know about now but at one time the local parts dealers called what I all ways referred to as a ';Fitz all'; It was a oil pan plug that was slightly larger than the original and was self tapping. As an after thought, was the gasket on the plug when you put it back ?

No comments:

Post a Comment