Saturday, December 19, 2009

What is the best oil to put on Cast Iron pans after you wash them?

Is olive oil or vegetable oil ok?What is the best oil to put on Cast Iron pans after you wash them?
Wagners


1891


original seasoning


1.Scour thouroughly


2.Coat with cooking oil


3.Heat in 300 degree oven 1 hour


4.remove exess oil. ready for use


5.reaseason as necessaryWhat is the best oil to put on Cast Iron pans after you wash them?
Vegetable oil is fine.
Plain old Crisco.
vegetable oil is what I've always use'd and watch my grandma use.
I've always used olive oil, as that's what I cook with. Any vegetable oil can go rancid if left too long though, so if it's a pan that you don't use very often (like a Dutch oven) try a cooking spray instead.





Some people prefer to leave their pans dirty and wash them just before use, but I wouldn't recommend it. In particular, don't leave bacon grease or anything salty in it, as the salt can draw moisture out of the air and promote corrosion.
I just use plain old cooking oil. But I do coat the pan, and let the coating soak in until my next use. It helps to ';season'; the pan.
I spray mine with Pam and wipe it with a paper towel to spread the Pam around evenly.





.
Anything I have read just now, says just to Greece the pan after use, They say if you have suet, that's good. But lets be real how many of us have Suet. So I would think any oil would be good. They say when you use it again, wipe the Greece from it, before adding oil for cooking. After cooking coat it again before putting it away
any kind of vegetable oil will do
  • art mask
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment