Saturday, December 19, 2009

Has anybody ever forgot to put the oil plug back into the oil pan when changing oil?

Almost 40 years of being in the industry it did happen to me once a few years back but I noticed as well. Nobody is perfect and it's only human to make mistakes, at least we both caught ours before starting the car.Has anybody ever forgot to put the oil plug back into the oil pan when changing oil?
Only til it starts running out. Then I can remember. If you forget to put on the oil filter, it's more exciting. Try that some time.Has anybody ever forgot to put the oil plug back into the oil pan when changing oil?
Where u at ? I wanna make sure i never have my truck serviced by you. lol
Well let me explain to you why you didn't do that bad of a thing. I live by the rule of drain plugs are either in and tight or out. As you found out leaving it out you create a mess of oil, however after the mess is cleaned up no major problems. However if you would have installed it but not tightened it then you could have been driving it when the plug fell out and then when the oil goes you will have major problems. So dont feel bad you did nothing to damage the car you just spilled some oil. cheap lesson. As my dad would say '; That was dumb you won't do that again will ya?';....lol
I personally have not done it but, when i worked in a service station in North Carolina my fellow mechanics have gone it on several occasions. Try mopping up 8 qt. of oil at one time.
I haven't done it yet, but I figure I'm about due. It's bound to happen at some point, I guess.
I grew up in South Africa and the people over there did not care too much about the environment. There are a lot of idiots over there who find an open spot in the field and drain their oil right there - on the dirt - just because they are too lazy to collect it and drop it off at the local autoparts store.





I once wittnessed a guy who drained his oil - about 5 miles from town. A couple of good looking girls came jogging past and he did not pay attention to the oil change:-) - looking at the girls, of course. You guessed right he forgot to install the plug and dumped all the fresh oil on the dirt as well.





He did not have enough oil left and had to walk all the way back to town to get some more oil - pre cell phone era.





Let that be a lesson to him.
yeah, you might have wasted a little oil, but you did catch it.


i did that once to my old audi in college, except i cranked it up for a quick beer run... yeah... rebuilt engine...
Well, at least you caught it in time. It's better than forgetting to install the oil filter, and have the engine pumping it all out.... and dynamiting the engine in the process!!! Or....





...at least you weren't as dumb as this idiot:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRTZoGXTE鈥?/a>


LOL
  • art mask
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment